8 Secrets to Success Selected from Successful Business People
Recorded as a TED Talk by Richard St John
Secrets of Success are really, that there are NO Secrets!
I’m sure you already know these 8 ‘Secrets’ and may even be practicing at least some of them
The secrets to success I see are practicing all of these 8 consistently – I’ll just pull a few up and give you my thoughts on them:
1. Passion is something you need to have and you will already know, anything you start or do with passion is easy. Even if you encounter hurdles, when you are passionate about something you jump hurdles easily. Not to be confused with people who constantly tell you, as part of their bio of business description, that they are passionate. When you have a passion for something or are passionate, you do not need to tell everyone, your passion will simply shine through everything you do and say
2. I like what Rupert Murdoch says: “It’s all hard work. Nothing comes easily” – So many claim: ‘it’s easy’ ‘look I did it in one day!’ ‘Become a Millionaire using my gadgets’. Scratch the surface and you will always find a much longer, filled with early failures, path behind such claims
It’s easy to polish and show off on stage only the positive parts of a journey, of course that makes the audience excited to want to do it too! So, yes, go for it, but do expect it to take it’s time and hard work
Of course, combined with passion for what you do, it’s fun!
3. One of the hardest secrets to success is to keep pushing yourself. Get back up after every fall, press forward even when you’re shy, when you don’t really know how to do it. You will only achieve something new when you tackle it head on. Doing what you’ve always done won’t push you forward
In business tackling your finances is a ‘biggie’ for many start up and smaller size businesses. They are often not interested in digging into their finances for fear of not really understanding what is happening, yet the only way to achieve more is with planning and budgeting. Get a bookkeeper, ask how to read your financial statements, in fact, make sure you record everything you do! What you measure, you can grow!
4. One of the major secrets to success for me is, no matter what you want to sell, do you really know someone wants it? Not only wants it, but will pay money for it? I’ve worked with a lot of start up businesses who have a great idea. They say there’s nothing like it on the market so it has to be successful, but they do NO market research.
It’s very easy these days with Google giving you an answer to everything however when it comes to marketing, it is a profession and while you can find all sorts of answers on marketing questions online, if you don’t know what you’re missing, you won’t know! In other words, there is more to marketing than just activities. Market research is the first thing every large company does before they put out a new product of service
5. Great point and quote from Joe Kraus, in the video above: ‘Persistence is the number one reason for our success.” You’ve got to persist through failure. You’ve got to persist through crap! Which of course means “Criticism, Rejection, Assholes and Pressure.”
No matter how many times things go wrong or turn out different to what you expected, get up and go again. Be open to learn and take something new on board
Have we missed an important secret to success you know about? Leave a reply, and let others know